Here is my list of essentials for a perfect base! This is ideal (in my opinion) for my skin type, normal with occasional oilyness with a light/medium olive complexion. I use these products everyday.
Here are the products I chose:
1. Esteé Lauder ‘Double Wear Light’ liquid foundation, this stays on all day perfectly and doesn’t get oily so long as you powder a bit. It’s just light and dewy enough whilst covering imperfections. I’m pretty sure this has no SPF in either so perfect for a night out when there will be photos with flash! I apply this with a regular flat foundation brush and then buff in with the Real Techniques buffing brush.
2. Bobbi Brown ‘Mineral Skin Foundation SPF15’, Ihave already talked about this on my previous post but I am so in love. I use a big fluffy brush for light coverage or the Real Techniques buffing brush for medium coverage.
3. MAC ‘Studio Finish Concealer SPF35’, I find this too thick for under the eyes and it creases like crazy, but I love it to cover little blemishes on the face. I put this on with my little finger and pat until it looks like it has disappeared. You only need the tiniest bit and it lasts for ages, so definitely worth the money if you get blemishes and want a product that will cover them all day.
4. Bobbi Brown ‘Tinted Eye Brightener’, I have already talked about this too.. needless to say I love it. I apply with the wand straight under the eye and then pat in with a small foundation brush or my finger.
5. Rimmel ‘Stay Matte’ face powder, the only drugstore item on the list but by no means the worst. This is great to lightly dust over the center of the face after liquid foundation to avoid shine, using a big fluffy brush.
6. Urban Decay ‘All-Nighter’ setting spray, this keeps makeup on for as long as you decide to wear it. Great for hot weather and for oily skin when makeup just slides off your face. I spray either after foundation and concealer or after everything if I have a lot of eyeshadow on.
7. Stila ‘Convertible Colour’, this is a cheek and lip creme. It doesn’t feel sticky at all but equally doesn’t turn powdery and cakey on the face like some cream blushes do. I have the fuschia colour which is quite a bright pink but I am planning to buy Lilium or Peony soon for a more subtle flush of colour. I swear this time next year I will have all 6 colours. I apply it with a stippling brush or fingers if I’m out and about as the compact has a mirror in the lid. This is also great for lips but can be a little drying. Although this too can be considered expensive when there are so many cream blushes in highstreet makeup brands, but I doubt there are many with equally good lasting powder, pigment and texture.
8. Nars ‘Laguna’ bronzer, this is great for warming the skin up and also as a contour shade as it doesn’t have too much shimmer. I either use a fluffy round brush or a Real Techniques contour brush.
9. Benefit ‘Cha-Cha Tint’, is a cheek and lip stain which is a gorgeous bright orangey coral colour. It is quite hard to apply without it going patchy as it is quite high pigment and dries into the skin so quickly, but once its on it stays on! I just put 3 drops onto the apples of my cheeks and then blend up with my fingers. I only have small bottles of this, one in a set and another as a sample, but I’m sure I will repurchase when I finish them.
10. Nars ‘Hollywoodland’ chubby eyeshadow pencil. As an eyeshadow it is awful as it creases.. but I didn’t buy it for that. It is the most beautiful shade for highlighting as it is a very creamy champagne gold colour. I think it would only work on darker skin tones as it applies a beige colour and shines in certain lights, luckily it blends into my skin and gives a dewy glow in the right lighting. I also love putting this in the inner corners of my eyes to brighten them.
11. Benefit ‘High Beam’ liquid highlighter, probably the first high-end makeup product I ever bought. I love this to highlight and is a brighter pinkier colour than the Nars pencil. It’s a classic and everyone should own it. I can’t leave the house without a bit of highlighter!
As far as the rest of the face is concerned, I usually wear quite a strong eyeshadow look and use the powder as an eyeliner also. I mostly use MAC eyeshadows and use neutral shades, a mix of mattes and shimmers. My all time favourite mascara is Maybelline ‘The Falsies’ as it gives a really nice feathery effect whilst still making the lashes super long. For lips of course I adore MAC lipsticks, I own a neutral, a coral and a red and that is enough for me! I much prefer a tint so I can just forget about it! Because I usually have a strong eye I normally just put a bit of balm on my lips and leave them natural. For brushes I love Real Techniques. They are incredible quality, super soft and don’t hang on to the product at all. The price point in my opinion is amazing when you compare them with MAC brushes. I also love the Sephora professional brushes, which I believe to be great quality and not too expensive, but they aren’t available in many locations! I will be stocking up before I leave!